It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Intrepid Episode 17: Beacon in the Night, Part II
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Headhunter
Portions of this post originally appeared in Libra Episode #18 – Martial Law.

Intrepid - Port Hanger Bay
Day 86

Lt. Kevin Butler made his way around Ranger Scout Four / Raptor 1241 for a quick inspection. The mission is simple: Jump ahead and listen for traffic. Pin-point any that were found and alert the fleet.

That was the official mission that everyone in the bay knew about. No one knew that there was someone else out there to listen for. Butler had been sworn to secrecy by the Admiral, the Fleet CAG and anyone else above him about the findings of the recent scout mission.

Find them and make contact...come back to Intrepid and we will take it from there was what the Admiral said, the Lieutenant thought to himself. A lot of unknowns in this mission. I don't even know my coordinates yet. Intel came down and punched those in...

“Good evening, Lieutenant” Ensign DeVilla said as he popped a salute after exiting the cockpit area after a final inspection.

The pilot returned the salute, putting aside all thoughts of his mission. “Hello Toby. Looks like my girl is ready.”

“Aye, we just fueled her and put ten days of rations in the storage compartments.”

“I’m just going to be away for two.” Kevin knew that it wasn't exactly the truth, but he played along.

“Just following Chief and the Admirals' orders, sir. They tweaked they with the general mission requirements, again. All scouts are to be prepped for long-duration missions.”

More cover...the Admiral and everyone else is covering my tracks. Butler smiled at the deck hand as he closed the hatch behind him. “Well, tell both of the old farts I’ll eat well and thanks for the tweaking. See you in two days.”

Kevin sat in his seat and began to bring up various systems. Scout sensors test operational...jump systems online with no faults. Everything looks good. Before he knew it, Ranger Scout Four was on the deck and ready for launch.

As he looked one more time though his flight book, he found the picture of Belinda. She is wearing a wedding gown. It was part of the last communications he go from her before the Cylons attacked. Would I have ever gotten involved with Sabrina if you were still alive? More than likely not...hell, don't start that now Kevin! Too much on the line here if the intel is right. Think about this later...

Flight Control snapped Butler back to reality, "Raptor 12-41, you are cleared for launch and then to vector to 315 degrees and hold at the 5 kilometer mark. Launch when ready.

"Roger that, Intrepid Control. Commencing launch in 3...2...1...launching." Here we go.

The launch was by the book with no problems. Lt. Butler moved ahead of the fleet and then vectored toward the direction of the possible Colonial signals. After a last quick test of systems, it was time to jump. Well, here we go into the unknown...again.

“Intrepid Control, this is the Raptor 12-41. I am vectored and awaiting clearance to jump.”

“Raptor 12-41, this is Intrepid Control. You are cleared to jump on your current vector. Good luck and good scouting, Battlemaster. See you when you get back.”

“Thank you, Control. Raptor 12-41, clear and engaging jump drives in 3…2…1.”

And that is when it all went wrong...horribly wrong.

The jump computer signaled the engines were over-surging. Butler went throw the safeties. As he did, he was thrashed around the cockpit. Sparks flew in the raptor. It sounded as if the ship was going to blow.

Thrusters had kicked into full power, the control stick was not responding. The cockpit was bathed in a red glow from warning lights and the sound of alarms was piecing.

“INTREPID CONTROL, INTREPID CONTROL, THIS IS RAPTOR 12-41! EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY…”

With a sudden green flash, the scout jumped…a blind, out of control jump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:44 am 
Site Headhunter
Intrepid – CIC
Day 86

Admiral Jacobs heard the terse call from the Ranger Scout and then watched it disappear from DRADIS. He glared at Maj. Darren Trevors, "What the frak was that?! Is he still out there? Did that scout just blow up or what? Get me a report, now!"

"Aye, Sir!" Trevors said as he picked up a handset to speak with the viper pilots in the area.

Tom looked at Lt. Bays on Comms, "Take the fleet to Condition One, now!"

The Admiral didn't even wait for an answer as he returned his gaze to Intrepid's XO. After a minute of an excruciating wait, Tom looked at Darren as he hung up the handset. Though the silence between the two, Tom Jacobs knew it was not good. "Report, XO."

"The Ranger Scout went out of control and then appeared to have jumped, Admiral." Trevors said calmly. "What are your orders, sir?"

"Launch the other scouts with our emergency coordinates with the orders to listen for and find Ranger Four." Tom lowered his head and then looked back up, "Distribute jump coordinate and order the fleet to emergency jump. If this was not an accident...I don't want to stick around."

"Aye, Admiral!" Trevors said as he was jarred by the thought of possible sabotage. "Comms, patch me to Taurus and get Major Lazwell into this conference. Navigation, distribute coordinates for an emergency jump..."

Tom crossed his arms and frowned, I hope there is nothing more to this than a malfunction...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:48 pm 
Site Headhunter
Lycanthrope
Day 87

Colonel Dean Wilson watched Captain Merton and the CIC crew of the Lycanthrope work efficiently and with dedication in the search for Lt. Butler and his craft. Frustratingly, every jump had turned up nothing. C’mon Kevin…turn up. I really hope you are okay and this wasn’t sabotage…or worse.

Captain Merton turned to look at Dean after looking at the DRADIS and listening to reports from his search craft. “I don’t think he’s here, Colonel. Where do you want us to go next?”

Wilson stepped towards the command table and joined Merton, “I’m not giving up hope, Captain. We need to find him and his craft. Lt. Butler has to be around here somewhere.”

Merton took a deep breath, “Understood, but we are coming to the edge of the search pattern. The full legs of a normal raptor couldn’t go much further, unless it was modified.”

“It wasn’t a typical raptor on a typical mission, my friend.” Wilson replied quietly. “It had longer legs…and I can’t tell you about the mission.”

“Of course, Colonel…I would never ask.” Did it have anything to do with that rumor that others are out there, Merton mused to himself. I’ve also seen pictures of that Raptor you sent. It’s not a typical Raptor…you and your friends have done something with it.

Dean pointed at two spots on the the map, “Lets move here and then jump here. That will get us to the edge of that craft’s legs.”

“Of course, Colonel.” Merton said, “Just let me get my craft back on board…”

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:03 pm 
Site Headhunter
End of the day
Day 86

Maj. Sabrina Watkins had listened to the reports coming in from the other search teams with a heavy heart from her office. You have to be out there…I know you are.

As another raptor returned on DRADIS, she tried to have a hopeful heart as the pilot reported, ”Raptor 895 to Taurus control…no joy, repeat…no joy.”

Sabrina hung her head low, and tears started to flow, “I never got to say I love you…”

----

Lt. Amanda Bays walked into the war room where Major Darren Trevors had spent most of his time coordinating the search and taking in reports. He looked up the Lieutenant and sighed, “Not good, my friend…not good.”

“I’m bringing you a stack of not good, sir.” Amanda said. “No signs of the scout or pilot. How long is the Admiral going to keep this up, sir?

“Until we find our man or we know he’s dead.” You have no idea about his mission and what was riding on it, Darren thought. “We continue until the old man says to stop.”

“Aye sir.” Amanda said quietly as she handed the Major the reports.

Darren could sense something was on her mind, “Talk to me, Amanda.”

“Sir?”

“I’ve seen that look on your face before…something is on your mind. Call that an additional sense you get when you become an XO…the sense to detect when something is on the mind of a junior officer or general crew member.”

Amanda slowly drew in a breath, “Well sir, there is something that is…well, a rumor that has been going around the ship about Lt. Butler, sir.”

“And that is?”

“Well sir…that he was or is…a Cylon, sir.”

Darren looked at Bays and then looked back down at his search map, “Anything is possible, but I don’t think so. If he was a Cylon, he could have done a hell of a lot more damage than just steal a scout. No, Lt. Kevin Butler is not a Cylon in my book.”

“Understood sir.” Amanda said calmly. “Just thought you should know before the old man hears it.”

“I bet someone has mentioned it to him.” Darren said. “And if it was anyone outside of command or intell, I’m betting the old man put them in their place.”

---

Brenda ‘Six’ Holliwell had returned to the Pan Galactic 1190 to review the jump computer work that had been done a day earlier. Captain White had reported a small glitch that came up during the jumps. It could bebypassed , but it slowed them down by a minute during jump prep.

She told the captain that after review, it was a software fault and that she had been sent over with the patch to take care of the comms issue. In truth, Brenda had caused the bug…or the masquerade of a software bug.

Brenda had been sending out short burst transmissions in the hope that the Cylon Fleet would hear them. The bug was also a cover if the transmission did not have the desired effect. It allowed for her to come back and finish her backup project, if needed.

Upon arrival, Brenda had gained permission to go to the main computer room on the ship to install the software patch. Captain White made the mistake of leaving her alone in the room.

As the software loaded in the jump computer, she quickly opened a floor panel. Below were several thick, multi-colored cables. She quickly spotted a purple cable and reached into her jacket. The Cylon slowly smiled as she produced a small box.

She attached it to the top of the cable and carefully squeezed the box and cable together. The needle-like teeth punctured into the line. Immediately, two lights came to life and Brenda smiled. Now, you’re just waiting on my signal…

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Headhunter
Quote:
It was a warm, welcoming breeze that whipped across the plains of Aerolon. Wheat was being harvested from the large farm field. A young man sat in the combine, making his runs down rows and rows of grain. The header took in the stocks and fed it to the threshing portion of the machine. The seed was sent into the storage bin as the stocks and other parts of the plant were deposed of from the back.

The man took a look back and noticed that the bin was nearly full. With a smile, he finished his current row and turned off the thresher and header. As quickly as he could, he headed for the grain truck. As he pulled up, he noticed someone walking down the road. They wore a heavy light-blue colored robe and their face was obscured by a hood. The young man watched the person get closer and closer until they stood right in front of the combine.

Although the young man could not see the face of the person in front of him, he could hear their words quite clearly through the windows of the harvester cabin and over the roar of the motors.

It was the voice of a female saying one word over and over, “Time…time…time…”

There was a loud buzz and a voice coming over the intercom next to the bed, “Admiral, 0545 and Major Trevors is here to see you, sir.”

Thomas Jacobs sat up and rubbed his eyes, “Give me a moment…just waking up.”

As he stood up, he grabbed his robe and looked around the room. That never happened…must be just a weird dream.

Intrepid - Admiral’s Quarters
Day 87

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:35 am 
Site Headhunter
Parts of this post originally appeared in Libra Episode #18

Quote:
Lt. Butler slowly opened his eyes. His head was throbbing and he tasted blood in his mouth. If all I got out of that was a concussion and a bitten tongue, I’m lucky.

He quickly unbuckled and checked his systems. Engines and FTL were offline. A majority of his sensors were non-responsive. Once the helmet came off, Kevin smelled the charred electronics in the air.

"Lights would be good...too damn dark in here.", he said out loud to no one as he turned on additional systems, or tried to. "Power plant is still in good enough shape to power life support. Some of his communications equipment is working."

Hey, at least the porta-toliet is intact. He thought as he tried to smile. "Atleast I don't have to hold it or step outside."

After looking around and assessing what was operational, Butler moved back to his pilot seat. He attempted to bring up fire control so he could launch a communications drone. He heard a snap, crackle and a loud pop. Within moments, one of his main control screens and DRADIS ceased to operate.

“Oh frak me...”

Disabled Ranger Scout 4 - Open space
Day 87

Kevin Butler had spent most of his morning trying to bring the damaged scout online. He had retrieved a small toolbox from a floor panel and had swapped out a couple monitors used for displaying various scout programs and put them into the place where the DRADIS and flight-controls should be.

"Glad they all used the same connectors...I think Col. Wilson would be impressed with my hack-job." Kevin said aloud as he applied power to the screens. Within moments, they came alive, working as they should. "No Toasters near by...and I'm still dead in space."

He then noticed, with some dread, an alarm on screen. He touched the alarm 'button' and it took him to the 'environmental control' screen. "Oh frak me...this can't be happening."

The carbon dioxide scrubbers were showing a general failure along with the heating system. Although levels for either were not dangerous now, they soon would be.

"Well, this just made my life more interesting...and possibly shorter."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Headhunter
Lycanthrope - CIC
Day 87

"Gremlin, still nothing on those frequencies that we really shouldn't be listening to?" Capt. Merton said to Gwyn 'Gremlin' Wyatt.

"Still locked out boss." She said while looking over the frequency and encrypted data. "As soon as that emergency distress call went out, they scrambled everything to a new key. Honestly, we were lucky last time to stumble on the stuff they many not have wanted anyone to hear."

"True...true." Merton paused for a moment before continuing, "Continue to see if you can luck out and get back in on the Command Channel. That was just too good to have for when the going gets tough."

"And what if they ever figure out that we were listening in on the Commander and Admiral?"

"Best to ask for forgiveness than permission...still, I want you to cover our asses."

Gremlin cocked an eyebrow up, "How do you want me to do it?"

"Get with Corinna and make a program that eats sensitive data. Make it where the military and Cylons can't restore it."

"Why not strap some more explosives to the computer banks?" the old woman asked with a toothy grin.

"Extra explosives in relation to something sensitive can be a good thing, if it really needs to go away in a hurry. I'd prefer us not to turn the server rooms into a junkyard unless we have to." Merton said. "Do what needs to be done and keep it between the three of us."

"Understood, Boss."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 pm 
Site Headhunter
Science Ship Discovery
Day 87

Dr. David Ekstrom sat looking out the window of his office. He could see the reflection of his face on the thick glass of the portal. He locked eyes with his ghostly reflection and shook his head, No matter where I go and no matter how I've somewhat reinvented myself, there is the reminder of my past. No matter how much no one knows about what I was a part of...I still see it. The only time it will stop tagging around is when I am..."

There was a knock at the door and David turned around, "Come."

Dr. Julia Lucero entered the room. She wore a lab coat and had her long brunette hair pinned up, "Results from the tests we ran this morning, Doctor."

After taking the folder she had presented him, Dr. Ekstrom looked over the information, "Well, we're further along than we were a few days ago, but I'm not happy. Gather the research team and lets go over this."

"Now sir?"

"Of course." Ekstrom paused for a moment, looking at Julia noting the 'we have other projects as well' look on her face. It was a look he had seen several times from the over-worked lab manager, "Conference room twenty-seven in an hour. It gives everyone a chance to look things over and find a stopping point on any current projects."

Julia slowly made her way to the door, "Yes, Doctor and thank you. I'll let everyone know."

Once he heard the door close, David took a deep breath, spun his desk chair around and resumed looking out the portal. At least those who knew me are dead...I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Headhunter
Quote:
Previously, on Battlestar Libra...

Battlestar Intrepid - CIC
01:35
Day 88

“Admiral, you summoned me?” asked Maj. Laswell, overall CAG of the fleet.

“Have you seen the latest scout raptor information?” Jacobs asked in a low tone.

“Yes sir and I think we're both about to come to the same conclusion. Lt. Butler is gone.”

The admiral sunk his head, “Unfortunately, I must agree. From this point forward, the active search for Raptor 1241 will end.”

Major Laswell paused and composed his thoughts, “Aye sir. I’ll ask the Chaplin to plan a small memorial service for him later in the day.”

“One more thing, Major” the Admiral said as he lifted his head, “Major Watkins is currently on CAP duties, correct?”

“Aye Admiral.”

“Have her land here instead of Taurus. I will inform her of this personally.” Jacobs said as he paused for a sip of coffee ...

Battlestar Intrepid - CO's Quarters
Day 88

Major Sabrina Watkins entered the quarters of Admiral Jacobs, somewhat shaken and wondering why she had been summoned. As she approached the leader of the fleet, he motioned her to sit down, "You wanted to see me, Admiral?"

Tom took a deep breath and locked eyes with Sabrina, "I asked you to come her to inform you of something personally. I felt that it would be better coming from me than anyone else."

Sabrina slowly drew in a breath and felt every muscle in her body tighten, "It's about Kevin, isn't it?

"Yes. We've searched as far as his jump capabilities would have allowed and then some. We've picked up no distress signals or any signs that he may be..."

"Sir, we just can't stop! As long as he has operational life supports he could survive for weeks in space." Sabrina begged. Her eyes started to turn red and water up, "We just can't leave him out there to die. Please Admiral...let me continue the search."

"Sabrina, he's gone...and we have to keep going forward." Tom said quietly. "We have to keep moving to keep everyone safe. There was a massive energy build up before the jump. The scientists on Discovery reviewed the data and feel there was no way he could have survived..."

"They have no frakkin' clue!" she said in a tearful shout as she stood. "He's alive dammit! I know he's alive!"

Sabrina locked eyes with Tom. She could see the pain in his eyes as well. She shook her head as the Admiral stood up and approached her. "You're wrong sir...he's alive."

"I'm sorry, but I am calling off the active search. I'm sorry Sabrina, but Kevin is gone."

"No, no, no!" Watkins cried out in pain. The Admiral put his arms around Sabrina as she buried her head under his chin. "We can't stop...we can't."

"I'm sorry." Tom said as he closed his tear-filled eyes, "I'm so sorry..."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:55 pm 
Site Headhunter
A Cylon pursuit fleet somewhere between the Intrepid and Libra fleets
Day 88

John Cavil stood listening, along with other Cylons, as a Four and an Eight made their presentation on current status of the breeding farms back on the nuked colonies. After fifteen minutes, the One model took a deep breath and interrupted the pair. "I think I can cut down what the both are saying into a simple thought: it's not working. I know that...so does everyone else here. I no longer see the need to keep going like we have been. Lets just finish everyone off and call it a successful genocide."

A Six locked eyes with Cavil, "For us to evolve, we must be able to breed...be it with a human or eventually ourselves."

Cavil drew a deep breath and let a slight snarl come across his face, "Oh come now...breeding is overrated and not needed. Downloading is far superior and you don't have to worry about all the things that come with babies. Just think of the resources that would go to better use just from not having to make diapers alone. We're machines...we don't need to breed to survive as a race."

"But to continue to evolve, we have to!" the Eight who had presented the report said. "Everything must evolve, One. Just look over in the corner at that Centurion. If we hadn't evolved, we would still look and act like them."

"You seem to be forgetting, we have had a Cylon somehow manage to breed with a human, so it can be done." A Four said.

A Five looked at the Four and shook his head in agreement, "Yes, it has been proven. Although the human subject is comatose, we can still learn from her and the child she carries. Maybe we can figure it out shortly after the child is born."

"Just ask Cepha how he did it." Cavil said with a raised eyebrow and cynical tone. "Maybe there was something in his technique? Maybe his knowledge of sex is somehow superior? Maybe..."

"Maybe God blessed him, One." Six retorted. "God may have seen fit..."

"Here we go with the God talk again." Cavil sighed. "I tire of hearing talk about other Cylons and their imaginary friends. Lets keep to the subject. What is it that the scientists back at the colonies would like? There are still humans alive on the planets that could be used as test subjects."

"That's the problem, we think." Four said. "Radiation could have damaged the human reproductive organs to the point of non-function. We have seen that in several subjects."

"We would like to take a sampling from one of the human fleets." the Eight quickly added. "Humans that have not been affected by weapon radiation and fallout."

A Two that had remained silent during the discussions spoke, "And how do you suggest we get this sampling?"

"When we find one of the fleets, we send in boarding parties to capture some of the human ships." Four replied. "The rest can be eliminated."

Cavil sat silent for a moment and thought about what had just been said, "The Ones will agree to that with one very important condition: Once we have your clean samples, all remaining humans are to be wiped out...once and for all. The longer the humans live, the more of an out of control problem they will become. It's time to finish the plan."

A Three immediately looked at the One, "We agree. Eliminate both fleets and any others that are in the way."

Cavil looked across the room at the others, "By the silence from the rest of you, my line will take it that there is an agreement. Very well. So Four and Eight, how do you suggest we 'board and capture' these new test subjects?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Headhunter
Note: Parts of this post originally appeared in Episode 19 of Battlestar Libra

Intrepid - Engineering Room
Day 89

Brenda 'Six' Holliwell knew her time had come as she walked down the corridors of Intrepid with her toolbox. She quickly turned an made her way into a room marked 'Utility 75'. This side-hall was clear of any humans. She quickly turned the handle and stepped into the closet-like room. After turning on the light, she opened the door to an access panel.

Quickly, she unzipped her overalls and reached into an interior pocket. The plastic box she pulled out was the size of a cigarette box with two wires that had sharp-teeth clips on them. Carefully, she looked for the cable marked 'RDM07051964' on it. After two minutes of careful observation, she found what she was looking for.

Delicately, she sat the small box on the wire bundle and then put on a pair of gloves. After a few moments, she positioned the vampire clips onto the cable. Brenda drew a deep breath as she applied pressure and forced the conductive teeth in at the same time. A small green light lit on the box, confirming a good and uninterrupted connection.

Well...this is finally it, she thought to herself. It's now or never.

Brenda took off her gloves, zipped up her jump suite and grabbed the toolbox. She carefully opened the door and reentered the still empty hallway. With in a few moments, she walked back into the main corridor leading to Engineering. She touched her hair, making sure it was still up in a cap and then entered the FTL Computer Control Server Room.

After a few moments, the heavy door closed and locked behind her. The Six then placed the toolbox on a table next to the last surviving control bank and opened it. She could see the plastic explosives and the controller. The key that was in the controller was in 'unarmed' position. As Brenda reached to turn it, Specialist Todd Bradford approached.

“Hello Brenda, did you bring dinner in that toolbox?”

"No, had dinner before coming here...it was lousy as usual." She smiled nervously as Bradford continued to approach.

"So, what's a hot FTL tech like you doing with a beat up toolbox like that?"

Holliwell smiled “It’s just something I need to get things to work right...”

Brenda Six closed her eyes, turned the key and pressed the button on the explosives controller. Before either if them had any chance to breathe, it was over.

The blast reverberated throughout the ship and left the last FTL controller in rubble. With the backup destroyed in a previous a battle, Intrepid was now unable to jump on her own.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:29 pm 
Site Headhunter
Quote:
The field of wheat had been harvested. The golden stocks laid on the ground, freed of their kernels and roots. A hot wind swept the field on a cloudless day. The young man took one last look at the field before entering the grain truck. I can't wait until I graduate and leave this place, he thought. I'm so frakkin' tired of the farm life and this planet. I know there is something better for me out there.

As he sat down and put on his seat belt, the young man looked out the window. Across the road and about 200 yards away, he could see a figure walking towards him. The person wore heavy light-blue colored robe and their head was obscured from view.

"Who the hell is that?" the startled young man asked. "This is the middle of nowhere!"

A female voice began to whisper in his head. It sounded much like a priest's chant. "The time is now...the time is now...your time is now."

Admiral Jacobs awoke from his dream and sat straight up in his bed. The buzzing from the handset was almost continuous. For some reason, Tom felt a wave of dread roll over him. He grabbed the handset, "CIC, this is the Admiral..."

Day 90

End of Episode
Battlestar Intrepid returns for its final battle of survival on 01/05/2012
Episode #18: Praying for Time

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2